So, exactly what is cottage style decorating? Let’s start by looking at what it is not. A cottage is not bound by traditional rules of decorating. It is not something you buy in a package of pre-coordinated furnishings. A cottage room is not one that is reserved for company or for special occasions. Above all else, a cottage is meant to be lived in.
- Banish the bland interior. Cottage style uses color and pattern to help define space.
- Add texture to your space. Mix and match using casual bright fabrics. Use florals and stripes, checks and plaids, solids and patterns in a coordinated casual cottage theme.
- Create an authentic interior. Emphasize the old and mix with the new. In a typical American-style cottage you are likely to find wood and wicker, reclaimed wood or painted furnishings and distressed surfaces.
- Set the stage with wood flooring and area rugs. A cottage floor is meant to be walked on and easy to care for!
- Just as in fashion, the right accessories help make the ‘look’. Let your personality shine through.
These are just a few of the many elements that go into creating a unique cottage home. A real cottage home is all about you!
Brought to you by Cottage Home – specializing in cottage furniture & farmhouse tables